Divorce can be prohibitively expensive, time consuming and an emotionally draining process. Mediation is an option for couples seeking a less adversarial and less costly process. Working with New York mediators has several benefits which include cost savings, time savings, equivalent bargaining power between parties, and fewer disputes.
THE REASONS MEDIATION IS A COST SAVING METHOD OF DIVORCE:
- There is one fee for BOTH parties;
- You do not pay money for lawyers to communicate with one another;
- You do not go to court so there is no money expended on travel, time waiting in the courthouse, drafting and serving court documents; and
- There is only one attorney involved so all communication is open between both parties with a common goal: completion of the matter in the most cost efficient manner possible.
THERE ARE NUMEROUS BENEFITS TO MEDIATION IN ADDITION TO COST:
- At Keil & Siegel LLP we not only mediators but we are licensed NY attorneys. Therefore, with your completed mediation you will have your Separation Agreement filed with the court. Therefore, there are no additional retainers, attorneys to interview with unexpected fees or additional time spent once the mediation is completed; and
- Through mediation you and your spouse will resolve every disputed issue and can tailor your agreement specifically to address your uniqueIt is all in your hands and there is no loss of control to the decision of a Judge who is governed by state guidelines. In a court proceeding a judge has to ultimately choose a side and a resolution. In mediation, the parties, together with their attorney, come up with creative resolutions that meet the needs of the specific parties involved. Typical areas requiring resolution include:
- Child support;
- Medical insurance;
- Education (college);
- Life insurance;
- Spousal support/alimony/maintenance;
- Division of debts;
- Division of property (house, car, bank accounts, retirement accounts, stocks, jewelry, art).